Wednesday 2 October 2013

Dogs aren't great pacemakers

Yay, run number two done and dusted, this is almost starting to feel like a habit!

Got back from work as it was turning dark, so I kitted the dog out in her high-viz vest, and chucked on my high-viz jacket too. Wish I hadn't, it was roasting.

Here she is modelling her 'running' vest, looking very lovely.

Whilst combining the dog walk and my training run in one seems like an excellent time saving idea, it isn't without its drawbacks.

The dog has no idea how far I am going to go, and so inevitably sets off far too fast with all the excitement. Well, too fast for me at the moment anyway. I dare say she could probably maintain the pace quite easily.

Additionally, she has an annoying habit of wanting to stop for two or three 'Paula Radcliffe' stops along the route. Not a problem, these things happen, but she doesn't slow gently, she just stops, on the spot, anchored to the pavement. Yanking my arm off as I try to go from steady jog to stationary in the length of a not very long dog lead.

Anyway, it's not all doom and gloom. I got round the three miles in a little over 28 minutes which is good for now, and as a second run, it wasn't as hard as the second run usually is. Also, part of the run includes a lap of the dogs favourite field. It was really nice being able to let her off lead, and watch her rummage around and enjoy herself freely. At first she found a discarded water bottle and carried it for a while, before swapping it out for an luminous yellow mountain dew energy bottle.

Presumably it matched her outfit better.

Anyway, looking quite a sight in all high viz yellow, we passed a family on the way back home and it was there that their little girl made my day...

"Look mummy it's so cute, that dog's carrying his drink bottle!"

What a great idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment