Sunday 9 February 2014

Over the hill and far away

This week I was back up in Scotland for work. I did my best to eat as healthily as possible, which is not easy in Scotland, and I'd planned to carry on with the training plan so I packed my trainers and running gear.

On Tuesday I headed out on a dark and cold six mile run. Despite being Scotland, the weather wasn't entirely terrible. It was cold, but nothing that couldn't be compensated for with a base-layer.

Previously in Scotland I had headed out on a couple of different 3 mile runs, so I combined the two of those and made it up to the distance.

The run felt surprisingly difficult, the legs felt full of energy and good to go, but I was finding it harder than usual to breathe. I can only assume it was the fact it was a bit colder than I was used to. Once I got going, it did start to feel easier, but I never really felt like I could push the pace too hard. All in all, I completed 6.22 miles in 54:29.

I had intended to head out for a second time on the Thursday, but unfortunately we didn't get away early enough, making it the first run on the training plan that I have missed.

Shame on me.

For today's long run I had a new toy to play with on the way round after treating myself to a Garmin GPS watch off of eBay. Although I can use my phone for GPS it was nice to be able to glance at my time / pace / distance without having to fight with a screen unlock. There is also a far better chance that the battery on the watch will last the time it takes me to get around the marathon distance.

I'd planned today's long run to take me off in about the only direction I had yet to run, north. For those of you that know Portsmouth, you know that this means one thing. Portsdown Hill. Mont Ventoux it isn't, but it certainly hurts your legs plenty enough when you're running up it.


Did I mention the 40 mph winds?

As well as the hill work to make my legs work a little bit harder, my main aim for today was to get around at a pace closer to my intended marathon pace of 9 minute miles, rather than the somewhat brisker 8:14 I averaged on last weeks half marathon run.

The hill was certainly hard work, and to make it more interesting, I headed over the top of it, to allow myself the pleasure of heading back over it again on the way back home.

Additionally it did feel like whenever I wasn't running up the hill, I was running into the wind. Occasionally I had the pleasure of doing both at the same time.

The 14.29 mile distance was completed in 2:06:56. This averaged my pace out at 8:53. Very happy with that and felt like I could have gone on a bit further, which of course I will have to do next Sunday.

As I finished, I spotted the carnage that the long run had inflicted upon my left nipple. Apparently I'm not allowed to post a photo of it, so I won't. Although, for the right donation I may reconsider...

Speaking of donations, my fundraising total now stands at £600 which is so very close to my target. So please, if you haven't donated yet, please give whatever you can afford, to help hit the £750 target to send a cow to Africa.

You can do so quickly and easily at www.virginmoneygiving.com/davidjohns


No comments:

Post a Comment