Tuesday 28 January 2014

A short sharp burst

Today my training plan allowed me to get away with a mere three mile run. I carefully planned the route to find the flattest, straightest route with the least road crossings possible.

The idea of the occasional short sharp run in the training plan is not only to give your legs a rest from the longer runs, or to provide a fresh mental stimulation, but also to quite literally, get a bit of speed into your legs. I'm not sure how this then goes onto helping you during a much longer race, but presumably it does somehow. We shall see next Sunday I guess.


Well rested and full of beans I set out with the intention of beating every PB possible up to the 3 mile distance. The weather was dark and drizzly, but I'd managed to miss the worst of the rain that had splashed down not too long ago, and had a great time splashing through all the puddles, averaging 7:14 miles in the process.

The scariest thing to come out of the whole run was how short 3 miles felt, a distance that not too long ago, I would have struggled round.

I beat my 3 mile personal best time by 36 seconds, and also broke my 1 mile, 3k and Cooper (distance in 12 minutes) personal bests. Well happy. There's definitely something in the theory that orange shoes are faster than regular white ones.

My 1k personal eluded me by a second. I will beat that at some point even if I have to do just a single kilometre at some point.

Despite running 3.1 miles in 22:26, and having set my phone to target 5k in 23:00, for some reason it didn't acknowledge my beating of that PB. I can only assume that it cut out a metre or two too short?

On the sponsorship front, I have now broken the £262 mark. This, significantly, means that I have raised £10 for each of the miles I will be running. Whilst I acknowledge that there is still a long way to go to hit the magical £750 mark, I would like to take a moment just to thank every single one of you that has sponsored me.

I am truly grateful to all of you, and it really does mean a lot to me that not only have you been so generous with your money, but also that you've been generous with your time. Simply taking a moment out of your life to fill in a sponsorship form, really will help to change someone's life forever.

Thank-you.

(Shameless sponsorship link)

No comments:

Post a Comment