Sunday 5 January 2014

Shinglegeddon and chains of good

Today I somehow managed to dodge the wind and the rain, and get another nice 8 mile run in, in relatively pleasant conditions.

During the week I was lucky enough to spend a few days in London as a Christmas present from my wife. It was amazing fun, and brilliant to unwind before heading back to work on Monday.

On new years eve I got a 5 mile run in, but the trip to London meant I missed my other 3 mile midweek run. I also ate a bit worse than I probably should have what with the cooked breakfasts, the burgers and the trip to an american BBQ restaurant, but fortunately the trip was filled with plenty of walking, and even climbing the stairs on the underground which was very tough. I flaked out of attempting the 193 steps out of Covent Garden tube station though.

Back from London and back to marathon training reality with 8 miles today. Apparently it was -3 when I set out, but I had my new running gloves and hat on to keep me nice and toastie. (Thanks Luke for the Amazon voucher). I took a slightly different route to last weeks long run, partially to keep me interested, but mostly to take in the sight of Southsea esplanade covered in shingle. Apparently there must have been some strong winds and high tides whilst I was up in the big smoke because the promenade, and more impressively the road, had been turned into a makeshift beach. 

I wish I'd taken a photo really but I was busy dodging pebbles underfoot. So here's one that someone else took instead. presumably as the damage was being done. Fortunately, I missed out on the wind, waves and rain and just got to run through aftermath, still it added an extra challenge to the run.

Anyway the 8 mile run was completed in a 1:09:31, a little slower than last week, but after the eating in London, I was happy with that, and it was a nice change to get round without pushing the pace too hard.

With the new year now upon us, it is only natural to think of new years resolutions. At the moment I have to say my focus 2014 is going to be the marathon. Not really a resolution though, but I'm hoping the training I will have to do will take good care of the usual fitness / eating habits / weight aspects. It better do anyway!

Finally, I need to mention this; before I went to London I saw the following video that has been produced as an advert for innocent smoothies and will no doubt be hitting your screens in the near future, however it's worth pointing out that the advert is a true story of the work done by my charity Send-a-cow.



It sums up so much more simply and coherently the good that the charity does, than I ever could.
(Unsubtle link to my sponsorship page).



No comments:

Post a Comment